In his will, dated 2nd March, 1715, William Penny, a notable Lancaster gentleman, left a bequest to enable the building of Almshouses for 'poor indigent men and women within the town of Lancaster'.
Lancaster Charity was created in its present recognisable form on 22nd December 1860, made up of several smaller charities which between 1835 and 1843 had been set up to manage legacies which had been left for the building and maintenance of Almshouse accommodation within the old Lancaster town boundaries.
Since then, we have continued to provide affordable, comfortable homes for local people in need, who as residents are beneficiaries of Lancaster Charity. We are managed by a board of Trustees, and are registered with the Charity Commission and are also members of the National Association of Almshouses.
For many years, the Charity was based in the offices of OSG Solicitors in Castle Park, Lancaster, but in mid 2011 it relocated to William Penny's in Regent Street.